Saturday, March 30, 2013

TV Shows I Adore: Doctor Who



(source)

The order I post these is no indication of my preference... it more or less comes down to what I feel like writing about. 

And today, I feel like writing about Doctor Who

For years (and I'm talking about the Russell T Davies era) when people raved about Doctor Who and the subsequent phenomena it became, I scoffed at the idea - "an alien Time Lord in the shape of a human? Rides around in a blue box? Most feared adversary is a machine that looks like a vacuum? Really?!" - and wondered why usually level-headed folks turn into rambling messes when talking about the show. I never gave it much thought, but I was always aware of its impact in pop culture. Despite never watching an episode, I knew what the vacuum creature was (Dalek); I knew the blue box was a TARDIS, and I knew the Doctor always had a companion, but I never knew what any of it meant. I knew of them, but I didn't know anything about them.

When something is so immersed in pop culture that you know key elements without knowing you know, well, its time to pay attention!

My experience with Who started pretty recently, but with great impact. As a Whedon nerd, I knew alot of fans watched and loved the show. Whedon himself is a fan, as too are Neil Gaiman, Tom Hanks, Simon Pegg, Patrick Stewart, Peter Jackson, and, oh, the mothereffing QUEEN. Both the band and her royal highness. And if I like these people and admire their work, and they like Doctor Who, then wouldn't I like it too? SCIENCE, my friend.  

And so it started. I had procured a DVD of the first four episodes of series four, and really, thats all it took. By the end of the week, I owned all four seasons, plus the specials. By end of the first season, I was in love. By the end of the month, I had sped through all four seasons and specials, lived through two Doctors, three companions (twice!), and was fully immersed in the world of Who. I'd become a Whovian!

But really, guys? The series is amazing. It's got that distinctly British charm, the perfect balance of drama and humour whilst still not taking itself too seriously. It may get ridiculous and crazy, or dramatic and scary, but it'll always be a joyful and fun. And isn't that the best kind of TV?

As for the Doctor? Well, he's magnificent. Travelled through time and space, seen the end of the world and saved us from it. Turned ordinary men and women into soldiers of humanity and love. 

It's about humanity. Its about love and hope and all the good, mushy things that make us great. Its about discovering your strength and the courage to do whatever you want. Its about taking risks, opening yourself to discovering the world, exploring different cultures and people, fighting for what's right. Its all these little things wrapped up in a show with robot dogs! And its brilliant. 

Episodes that Hook: Obviously, there's no better place to start than with the NuWho pilot, "Rose", but if you just want the best, you can't go wrong with any of the Steven Moffat-penned episodes - the two-parter "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances", "The Girl in the Fireplace" and fan-favourite "Blink". Don't have time to watch all six seasons? Season 5 marked the beginning of a new Who era, with a new Doctor and companion (the amazing Matt Smith and Karen Gillan), and a new creative team headed by the aforementioned Steven Moffat. Whatever 'era' you choose, you're in for a great adventure. And a lot of running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment